What to Expect
At The Music Yard, we believe it’s important to make music on the piano from your first lesson. As you become more comfortable with articulating your fingers on the keyboard, we can then introduce note reading and musical notation, if this is your goal.
As your skill in reading music and technical ability develops, you will then able to explore more challenging pieces on the piano with a confident and relaxed technique. We aim to encourage you at your own pace with short-term goals that lead to long-term improvement.
Lessons can focus on the following, depending on your requirements:
• Playing your favourite songs for fun
• Learning how to read music
• Understanding music theory
• Learning how to improvise
• Learning how to jam
• Achieving grades and obtaining music qualifications
• Supporting your academic learning (GCSE/A level/BTEC)
• Learning how to accompany yourself singing
• Developing and playing in your own ‘voice’ on the piano
• Learning how to compose and arrange your own music
• Developing your rhythm, playing technique and co-ordination
Because every student is unique, each piano lesson is tailored to your individual strengths, challenges, and interests. The music you like and love is the inspiration for the desire to play piano or keyboard, which is why we incorporate songs and music you love into your lessons. This makes sense, because you are more likely to practice the music that truly inspires you!